we're pregnant

At the beginning of 2016, a wonderful surprise greeted us. We just got back from our Christmas vacation and ready to take on the new challenges that this year might give us and to our surprise, we were about to enter a new phase in our life.

Early signs.

Delayed period. I really wasn’t minding that I was about 10 days delayed when I came back to Cebu. Though I have a regular cycle, my period schedule becomes sporadic when I am stressed. And I really get a little too much stress when I came from vacations because of Airplanes. Yes, my paranoia is on full gear whenever I am on a lot of Airplane rides. During the vacation period we went to Baguio, went home to Davao before coming back to Cebu. So I just assumed that my delayed period is due to multiple Airplane rides. Hoho.

Vomiting. Before I went to the full morning sickness mode, I wasn’t feeling anything unusual. We met up with friends for the usual catching up after vacation and during one of our dinner out, I ordered an organic pasta that I can’t remember the name. It tasted weird but I get to enjoy it, I even shared it with Sugarplum(boyfriend) who told me it smelled and tasted weird. The next day, I started vomiting and had menstrual like cramps. He thought I was detoxified by the pasta and maybe the cramps were due to my period (finally) coming. I get cramps a week before my period starts. The vomiting didn’t stop and I eventually had nausea on random parts of the day. The cramping was getting worse and it was only happening on the lower left of my abdomen.

Confirmation time!

After a series of vomiting, nausea and cramping, Sugarplum decided that it’s high time we do a test. He bought the Pregnancy Kit last January 19 and we did the test the next day, on the 20th. According to the instruction, it’s best to do the test on your first urine. Maybe I was excited but I woke up around 4AM on the 20th and had the urged to pee. I woke up Sugarplum and went to do the deed. I wasn’t sure if I was doing it correctly. We patiently waited for the 3 minutes to be done. The light in our living room is not that bright that the first time I looked at the PT kit, there was no second line. On a second and better look, there was a faint line in there.

The reality of that second faint line hit me and I didn’t know what to say. Sugarplum hugged me and asked me what should we name our coming little one. We went back to bed and talked until we were able to sleep again. The next step was to ensure that the test was correct and to make the proper steps into making sure that the baby and I are safe.

After two days, we went to the nearest hospital to confirm my pregnancy. I was a bit hesitant and a bit shy when the nurse asked me why we went there. I told them, shyly, that we want to confirm if I was really pregnant. They asked me if I want to do another PT exam and I said yes. After an hour of waiting, the results came back and written in bold is the word “POSITIVE“. An OB then checked on me and gave me folic acid for the baby. I was also asked to undergo a TVS ultrasound, this is to rule out ectopic pregnancy. According to research, TVS is a must when you are around 8 weeks pregnant to check if the embryo is developed outside the embryo usually it’s in the fallopian tube resulting to an ectopic pregnancy. Sadly, ectopic pregnancy needs surgery to remove the embryo and it’s extremely rare for the embryo to surive. I was really scared of having an ectopic pregnancy because even though this pregnancy is a surprise, I would want to make sure that the baby is safe.

I had my Transvaginal scan or TVS the weekend after. We shell out around 1300 PHP at Chong Hua Hospital in Cebu. My partner was left outside during the test because I forgot to ask the nurse if it’s okay for him to accompany me while having the test. Maybe because I have a lot of things going on in my mind while I was getting ready to be tested. As I lay there, I prayed hard that the baby is alright.

Oh you’re really pregnant. It’s alive.” This is what the sonographer told me as she pointed to the screen where I saw my baby, about the size of a bean and though I can’t hear it, it was fully alive as it moves and beat. I got teary eyed when I saw my baby, something inside of me got stirred and I was overjoyed. The scan also pointed out that I have a contraction on my left. This was the reason that I was having a cramp-like pain on my left side.

After the test, I had a large serving of fresh fruit salad as I was trying to start eating healthy foods for the baby. I was also consoling Sugarplum since I really forgot to ask the nurse if he could come with me to share the first view of our baby. We then talk about our coming little one, though I’m an over-thinker and I get too paranoid easily, I’m glad that I got Sugarplum who knows how to assure me that everything will be alright. He reminded me that we both have good paying jobs and we are old enough to start our own family. The next phase would be telling the important people in our lives about our coming little one.

I hope you enjoyed this great moment with us!




%d bloggers like this: